In his 16th year in the NBA and first season with the Los Angeles Lakers, LeBron James has Michael Jordan's career points haul in his sights.
James has already established himself as one of the all-time greats and could surpass the six-time NBA champion in scoring this year, though Dirk Nowitzki is first up on his list of potential targets.
Stephen Curry can move past a number of names with his prowess from beyond the arc, while a major milestone is also in the offing for Chris Paul.
With the help of Opta, we take a look at the landmarks approaching for some of the league's biggest names.
- James is just 382 points away from passing Wilt Chamberlain (31,419) in fifth on the NBA's all-time points leaderboard.
- James enters the campaign averaging 2,069.2 points per season. If he reaches that total again, he will surpass Michael Jordan (32,292) for fourth on the chart.
- Nowitzki is also chasing down Chamberlain's points total. The veteran German will move beyond him if he scores 233 points this season.
- Curry is averaging 236.6 made three-pointers per season in his career. If he hits that total in 2018-19, he could jump to as high as third in the league's all-time three-pointers made list.
- To go third Curry (2,129) would need to surpass Jason Terry (2,282) and Kyle Korver (2,213), who could join Ray Allen (2,973) and Reggie Miller (2,560) as the only players with more than 2,300 three-pointers made.
The @Lakers defeat the @warriors 123-113 in Las Vegas!— NBA (@NBA) October 11, 2018
LeBron: 15 PTS, 10 REB, 5 AST
Ingram: 26 PTS, 5 REB
Kuzma: 22 PTS
Steph: 23 PTS, 5 AST
Klay Thompson: 20 PTS, 4 3PM
Durant: 18 PTS, 12 REB#NBAPreseason pic.twitter.com/OVJAA92P2g
- Paul needs 292 assists to become the eighth player in history with 9,000. He enters the season averaging 669.8 assists per year and if he reaches that total he would move up to seventh from ninth on the all-time leaderboard.
- James has averaged 547.2 assists per season in his career and needs 317 to pass Andre Miller for the 10th most in NBA history.
- This will be Nowitzki's 21st year with the Dallas Mavericks, breaking a tie with Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles Lakers) for the most seasons with a single team.
|I was just waving goodbye to them - Lillard sends Thunder packing|
|Raptors, 76ers advance as Lillard´s buzzer-beater sends Blazers through|
|Lillard´s stunning buzzer-beating three eliminates Thunder|
|Embiid: 76ers can win NBA Finals|
|Cousins ´highly unlikely´ to return for Warriors in playoffs, says Kerr|
|Suns fire coach Kokoskov after one season|
|Defending Favors ´draining´ for Rockets – Harden|
|Mitchell thanks Jazz team-mates after flashing Game 4 warning at Rockets|
|Bucks´ progress an ´unbelievable journey´, says Giannis|
|Bucks complete sweep of Pistons, Jazz hold off Rockets|
|Nets´ Dudley doubles down on Simmons comments|
|McCollum driven by past Blazers failure|
|Warriors and Trail Blazers extend leads, Celtics reach Conference semis|
|Kerr backs Warriors star Curry to bounce back quickly|
|76ers star Butler, Nets´ Dudley fined after playoff clash|
|Warriors´ Thompson says he ended slump by jumping in ocean|
|Stevens proud of Celtics for keeping foot on the accelerator to sweep Pacers|
|DeRozan fined $25k for throwing ball at referee|
|Celtics sweep Pacers to advance to semi-finals|
|Oh, for real? I didn´t know! - Harden unaware of early shooting woes|
|76ers win thriller, Rockets overcome Harden struggles to move 3-0 ahead|
|We real cool – Lillard plays down Westbrook feud|
|Embiid trolls Warriors after 76ers take 3-1 lead over Nets|
|Dudley is ´a nobody´ – 76ers star Embiid|
|Irving feels Celtics ´have come a long way´ after beating Pacers again|
|Westbrook a man of his word - George hails Thunder star after prickly win|
|Raptors hold off Magic, Celtics extend lead over Pacers|
|Raptors star Leonard played through sickness against Magic|
|Malone urges Nuggets response to ´hungry´ White|
|Brown lauds exceptional Simmons after Sixers take series lead|
|Durant showed who he is – Kerr|
|76ers win without Embiid, Warriors bounce back in big way|
|Knicks confident they will appeal to stars|
|Embiid to miss 76ers´ game three against Nets|
|Tiger Woods´ Masters win hailed as ´greatest comeback´ by Michael Jordan|
|Irving: There´s ´nothing like´ delivering for the Celtics in the playoffs|
|We´re almost there - Harden sees Rockets peaking in playoffs|
|Giannis has faith in Budenholzer to keep him fresh|
|Zion Williamson assists couple with epic gender reveal dunk|
|Celtics rally for win over Pacers, Bucks pull away from Pistons|
|Simmons ´average´ in half-court offense, says Dudley|
|Durant needs to be more aggressive in playoffs - Kerr|
|New Pelicans chief Griffin confident Davis will stay|
|Malone proud of ´phenomenal´ Murray|
|We´ll be alright - Westbrook not pushing the panic button|
|A series doesn´t start until you win on the road, warns Lillard|
|Lowry hails Leonard display as Raptors level series|
|Raptors, Nuggets level NBA playoff matchups|
|MRI confirms torn quad for Warriors star Cousins|
|Clippers want series success after incredible comeback win over Warriors - Rivers|
|The wheels fell off - Curry not dwelling on Warriors´ historic loss|
|Warriors center Cousins ´out for a while´ with thigh injury|
|Clippers complete biggest comeback in NBA playoff history to stun Warriors|
|DeMarcus Cousins leaves Warriors-Clippers clash with quad injury|
|76ers equal NBA playoff record with stunning third quarter in Nets win|
|Doc Rivers thanks stranger for returning $2k he dropped on street|
|Embiid cleared to play Game 2 against Nets|
|Warriors star Durant undecided on future beyond NBA playoffs|
|Zion Williamson declares for 2019 NBA Draft|
|Sacramento Kings confirm Luke Walton as new coach|
|Rubio explains unorthodox defense of ´crazy´ Harden|
|Giannis not looking for protection from ´dirty´ playoff tactics|
|WATCH: Giannis takes off from near free-throw line for stunning dunk|
|Celtics start strong, Harden leads Rockets past Jazz|
|Kerr, Warriors delay film session to watch Tiger win Masters|
|76ers´ Embiid ´questionable´ for game two against Nets|
|Beverley spills! Kerr concerned after Durant ejection against Clippers|
|Stephen Curry rooting for some Tiger Woods ´magic´ in Augusta final round|
|Ben Simmons hits out at the boo-boys after shock 76ers loss|
|It´s pretty special - Stephen Curry breaks Ray Allen´s postseason threes record|