In his 16th year in the NBA and first season with the Los Angeles Lakers, LeBron James has Michael Jordan's career points haul in his sights.
James has already established himself as one of the all-time greats and could surpass the six-time NBA champion in scoring this year, though Dirk Nowitzki is first up on his list of potential targets.
Stephen Curry can move past a number of names with his prowess from beyond the arc, while a major milestone is also in the offing for Chris Paul.
With the help of Opta, we take a look at the landmarks approaching for some of the league's biggest names.
- James is just 382 points away from passing Wilt Chamberlain (31,419) in fifth on the NBA's all-time points leaderboard.
- James enters the campaign averaging 2,069.2 points per season. If he reaches that total again, he will surpass Michael Jordan (32,292) for fourth on the chart.
- Nowitzki is also chasing down Chamberlain's points total. The veteran German will move beyond him if he scores 233 points this season.
- Curry is averaging 236.6 made three-pointers per season in his career. If he hits that total in 2018-19, he could jump to as high as third in the league's all-time three-pointers made list.
- To go third Curry (2,129) would need to surpass Jason Terry (2,282) and Kyle Korver (2,213), who could join Ray Allen (2,973) and Reggie Miller (2,560) as the only players with more than 2,300 three-pointers made.
The @Lakers defeat the @warriors 123-113 in Las Vegas!— NBA (@NBA) October 11, 2018
LeBron: 15 PTS, 10 REB, 5 AST
Ingram: 26 PTS, 5 REB
Kuzma: 22 PTS
Steph: 23 PTS, 5 AST
Klay Thompson: 20 PTS, 4 3PM
Durant: 18 PTS, 12 REB#NBAPreseason pic.twitter.com/OVJAA92P2g
- Paul needs 292 assists to become the eighth player in history with 9,000. He enters the season averaging 669.8 assists per year and if he reaches that total he would move up to seventh from ninth on the all-time leaderboard.
- James has averaged 547.2 assists per season in his career and needs 317 to pass Andre Miller for the 10th most in NBA history.
- This will be Nowitzki's 21st year with the Dallas Mavericks, breaking a tie with Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles Lakers) for the most seasons with a single team.
|Durant keeps details of Green spat ´in-house´ but envisages resolution|
|Warriors drop Hawks as Green serves suspension|
|Former NBA star McGrady says Carmelo Anthony should retire|
|Celtics´ Smart: We have to look at ourselves in the mirror|
|Warriors´ Green suspended for Hawks clash|
|Ludwigsburg stun high-flying Murcia in BCL|
|LeVert avoids need for surgery, should return this season|
|All I ever wanted to do is win, says Sixers signing Butler|
|It´s just team spirit - Livingston not worried by Durant-Green exchange|
|Nets offer support to LeVert following serious leg injury|
|Anthony Davis leads Pelicans, Clippers hold off Warriors in OT|
|Thibodeau discusses Butler trade: We thought this was the best deal for us|
|LeBron James on Lakers’ early season struggles: ‘I almost cracked’|
|Jimmy Butler trade: 76ers acquire Timberwolves star in blockbuster deal|
|Very troubling times - LeBron James alarmed by gun violence|
|Rockets GM denies Anthony will be waived|
|Bucks beat Nuggets to finish gruelling schedule stretch|
|Embiid and Simmons excited at Butler arrival|
|LeBron James among Lakers to be affected by Sacramento smoke|
|Spurs top struggling Rockets, Harden|
|76ers ´agree Jimmy Butler trade´ with Timberwolves|
|76ers unsure over rookie Smith´s return following allergy issue|
|Embiid: They call me ´Clutch´ for a reason|
|Butler: Timberwolves in ´big-time hole´ and can´t take criticism|
|Hayward expected boos on Jazz return|
|Celtics forward Gordon Hayward booed on return to Utah|
|Embiid saves 76ers in overtime to down Hornets|
|Lakers guard Ball tweaks ankle in practice, may miss game against Kings|
|Warriors coach Kerr encouraged by Curry MRI results|
|Irving praises Celtics´ resiliency in stunning comeback|
|Curry set for MRI as Kerr bemoans Warriors complacency|
|Thunder cruise to win over Rockets, Anthony struggles in return to OKC|
|Pierce thinks Duke could beat Cavaliers|
|Kanter upset with Hawks over ´childish´ tweet about his scary fall|
|Lakers coach Walton on addition of Chandler: We needed the help now|
|Lakers signing Chandler plans to ease LeBron burden|
|Leonard scores 25 in return to help Raptors top Kings|
|Promitheas beaten but Bologna stay perfect in Group D|
|Trail Blazers hand Bucks second loss behind McCollum´s big game|
|Lakers sign Tyson Chandler|
|Ventspils condemn Ludwigsburg to another defeat, Tenerife remain unbeaten|
|Kyrie Irving fined $25K for throwing ball into stands|
|Kyrie Irving brands Jamal Murray´s last-gasp shot a ´b*******´ move|
|Warriors taking no risks with injured Green|
|Raptors continue hot start, top Jazz without Leonard|
|Thunder star Westbrook leaves game with left ankle sprain|
|Raptors star Leonard to miss second straight game with sore ankle|
|Our games match – Warriors star Durant discusses playing with Curry|
|LeBron James warns Lakers to ignore ´outside noise´ after latest defeat|
|Lakers looked tired, says under-fire Walton|
|Lakers´ issues continue with blowout loss at home to Raptors|
|Timberwolves forward Jimmy Butler ruled out against Trail Blazers|
|LeBron James defends Luke Walton amid Lakers speculation|
|Drew struggling to find right combination for Cavs|
|Sky the limit for Rockets - Harden|
|Harden scores game-high 25 in return for Rockets|
|Raptors star Leonard will continue sitting out half of back-to-backs|
|Butler: I´ll decide Timberwolves availability|
|Oklahoma City spoil Dwight Howard´s debut|
|Lakers coach Walton: I don´t feel like I´m going anywhere|
|Cavs star Love has surgery, to be re-evaluated in six weeks|
|LaVar Ball: I could coach the Lakers to the title with my eyes closed!|
|Celtics´ Hayward ´sore´ but making strides|
|Celtics set franchise record with 24 three-pointers, hand Bucks first loss|
|Davis hoping to ´reconnect´ with Cousins down the line|
|Warriors want to help Cousins get a great move - Kerr|
|Cleveland to host All-Star Game in 2022|
|JR Smith wants to leave Cavaliers|
|LeBron hails ´superhero´ Rose after 50-point game|
|Rose explodes for 50 points to lead Timberwolves over Jazz|