In his 16th year in the NBA and first season with the Los Angeles Lakers, LeBron James has Michael Jordan's career points haul in his sights.
James has already established himself as one of the all-time greats and could surpass the six-time NBA champion in scoring this year, though Dirk Nowitzki is first up on his list of potential targets.
Stephen Curry can move past a number of names with his prowess from beyond the arc, while a major milestone is also in the offing for Chris Paul.
With the help of Opta, we take a look at the landmarks approaching for some of the league's biggest names.
- James is just 382 points away from passing Wilt Chamberlain (31,419) in fifth on the NBA's all-time points leaderboard.
- James enters the campaign averaging 2,069.2 points per season. If he reaches that total again, he will surpass Michael Jordan (32,292) for fourth on the chart.
- Nowitzki is also chasing down Chamberlain's points total. The veteran German will move beyond him if he scores 233 points this season.
- Curry is averaging 236.6 made three-pointers per season in his career. If he hits that total in 2018-19, he could jump to as high as third in the league's all-time three-pointers made list.
- To go third Curry (2,129) would need to surpass Jason Terry (2,282) and Kyle Korver (2,213), who could join Ray Allen (2,973) and Reggie Miller (2,560) as the only players with more than 2,300 three-pointers made.
The @Lakers defeat the @warriors 123-113 in Las Vegas!— NBA (@NBA) October 11, 2018
LeBron: 15 PTS, 10 REB, 5 AST
Ingram: 26 PTS, 5 REB
Kuzma: 22 PTS
Steph: 23 PTS, 5 AST
Klay Thompson: 20 PTS, 4 3PM
Durant: 18 PTS, 12 REB#NBAPreseason pic.twitter.com/OVJAA92P2g
- Paul needs 292 assists to become the eighth player in history with 9,000. He enters the season averaging 669.8 assists per year and if he reaches that total he would move up to seventh from ninth on the all-time leaderboard.
- James has averaged 547.2 assists per season in his career and needs 317 to pass Andre Miller for the 10th most in NBA history.
- This will be Nowitzki's 21st year with the Dallas Mavericks, breaking a tie with Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles Lakers) for the most seasons with a single team.
|Top prospect Guerrero called up by Blue Jays|
|Steelers sign Roethlisberger to two-year contract extension|
|Ravens make Tucker highest-paid kicker in NFL|
|Cowboys pick up Ezekiel Elliott´s fifth-year option|
|NFL Draft 2019: How does Kyler Murray compare to QBs taken first overall?|
|Golden Knights blast ´embarrassing´ penalty call in dramatic Sharks defeat|
|I was just waving goodbye to them - Lillard sends Thunder packing|
|Wheeler impresses in Mets´ win over Phillies|
|Raptors, 76ers advance as Lillard´s buzzer-beater sends Blazers through|
|Lillard´s stunning buzzer-beating three eliminates Thunder|
|Embiid: 76ers can win NBA Finals|
|Cousins ´highly unlikely´ to return for Warriors in playoffs, says Kerr|
|NFL Draft 2019: Five overrated prospects, starting with a first-round QB|
|NFL Draft 2019: Teams with most riding on outcome|
|NFL Draft 2019: Five best first-round fits|
|49ers kicker Gould trying to force trade|
|Rams pick up Goff´s fifth-year option|
|Seahawks reportedly send Frank Clark to Chiefs|
|NFL Draft 2019 Big Board: Murray & Bosa the top prospects|
|Suns fire coach Kokoskov after one season|
|Defending Favors ´draining´ for Rockets – Harden|
|Mitchell thanks Jazz team-mates after flashing Game 4 warning at Rockets|
|Rays bounce back with win over Royals|
|Bucks´ progress an ´unbelievable journey´, says Giannis|
|Bucks complete sweep of Pistons, Jazz hold off Rockets|
|Cowboys´ Cooper describes relationship with Prescott|
|Nets´ Dudley doubles down on Simmons comments|
|NFL Draft 2019: Five sleeper prospects|
|NFL Draft 2019: Five potential first-round surprises|
|DaMarkus Lodge relishing chance to prove himself as all-round receiver|
|McCollum driven by past Blazers failure|
|Warriors and Trail Blazers extend leads, Celtics reach Conference semis|
|Red Sox, Yankees claim extra-inning wins to continue turnarounds|
|Kerr backs Warriors star Curry to bounce back quickly|
|76ers star Butler, Nets´ Dudley fined after playoff clash|
|Warriors´ Thompson says he ended slump by jumping in ocean|
|Stevens proud of Celtics for keeping foot on the accelerator to sweep Pacers|
|DeRozan fined $25k for throwing ball at referee|
|NHL awards 2019: Brent Burns, Mark Giordano, Victor Hedman named Norris Trophy finalists|
|Celtics sweep Pacers to advance to semi-finals|
|Colts owner Jim Irsay buys John Lennon´s ´Sgt. Pepper´ piano|
|Oh, for real? I didn´t know! - Harden unaware of early shooting woes|
|Tucker´s homer on MLB debut powers Pirates to fifth straight win|
|76ers win thriller, Rockets overcome Harden struggles to move 3-0 ahead|
|Red Sox star Eovaldi on injured list with elbow issue|
|We real cool – Lillard plays down Westbrook feud|
|Embiid trolls Warriors after 76ers take 3-1 lead over Nets|
|Dudley is ´a nobody´ – 76ers star Embiid|
|Irving feels Celtics ´have come a long way´ after beating Pacers again|
|Westbrook a man of his word - George hails Thunder star after prickly win|
|Hendricks leads Cubs to fourth straight win|
|Raptors hold off Magic, Celtics extend lead over Pacers|
|Raptors star Leonard played through sickness against Magic|
|DeGrom to undergo MRI for elbow ailment|
|The O-Line bond behind two Heisman Trophies - Dru Samia & Ben Powers talk protecting Baker Mayfield|
|Elijah Holyfield set for NFL armed with fatherly advice and Georgia grounding|
|Malone urges Nuggets response to ´hungry´ White|
|Brown lauds exceptional Simmons after Sixers take series lead|
|Durant showed who he is – Kerr|
|Dodgers hold off Brewers|
|76ers win without Embiid, Warriors bounce back in big way|
|Knicks confident they will appeal to stars|
|Capitals´ Reirden heated after hit on ´defenseless´ Oshie|
|Brady, Edelman react to Gronkowski denting the Lombardi Trophy|
|Embiid to miss 76ers´ game three against Nets|
|This Week in US Sports: Lightning handed historic loss, Red Sox massively hungover|
|NFL Draft 2019: Should Cardinals take Murray or stick with Rosen?|
|Giants GM Dave Gettleman shuts down Josh Rosen trade talk|
|The NFL is a business - Josh Rosen has no complaints about Cardinals trade rumours|
|Tiger Woods´ Masters win hailed as ´greatest comeback´ by Michael Jordan|