In his 16th year in the NBA and first season with the Los Angeles Lakers, LeBron James has Michael Jordan's career points haul in his sights.
James has already established himself as one of the all-time greats and could surpass the six-time NBA champion in scoring this year, though Dirk Nowitzki is first up on his list of potential targets.
Stephen Curry can move past a number of names with his prowess from beyond the arc, while a major milestone is also in the offing for Chris Paul.
With the help of Opta, we take a look at the landmarks approaching for some of the league's biggest names.
- James is just 382 points away from passing Wilt Chamberlain (31,419) in fifth on the NBA's all-time points leaderboard.
- James enters the campaign averaging 2,069.2 points per season. If he reaches that total again, he will surpass Michael Jordan (32,292) for fourth on the chart.
- Nowitzki is also chasing down Chamberlain's points total. The veteran German will move beyond him if he scores 233 points this season.
- Curry is averaging 236.6 made three-pointers per season in his career. If he hits that total in 2018-19, he could jump to as high as third in the league's all-time three-pointers made list.
- To go third Curry (2,129) would need to surpass Jason Terry (2,282) and Kyle Korver (2,213), who could join Ray Allen (2,973) and Reggie Miller (2,560) as the only players with more than 2,300 three-pointers made.
The @Lakers defeat the @warriors 123-113 in Las Vegas!— NBA (@NBA) October 11, 2018
LeBron: 15 PTS, 10 REB, 5 AST
Ingram: 26 PTS, 5 REB
Kuzma: 22 PTS
Steph: 23 PTS, 5 AST
Klay Thompson: 20 PTS, 4 3PM
Durant: 18 PTS, 12 REB#NBAPreseason pic.twitter.com/OVJAA92P2g
- Paul needs 292 assists to become the eighth player in history with 9,000. He enters the season averaging 669.8 assists per year and if he reaches that total he would move up to seventh from ninth on the all-time leaderboard.
- James has averaged 547.2 assists per season in his career and needs 317 to pass Andre Miller for the 10th most in NBA history.
- This will be Nowitzki's 21st year with the Dallas Mavericks, breaking a tie with Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles Lakers) for the most seasons with a single team.
|LeBron James on Lakers’ early season struggles: ‘I almost cracked’|
|Rams WR Kupp out for season with torn ACL|
|Jimmy Butler trade: 76ers acquire Timberwolves star in blockbuster deal|
|Saints sign Marshall following Bryant injury|
|Very troubling times - LeBron James alarmed by gun violence|
|Rockets GM denies Anthony will be waived|
|Norman says Washington home crowds ´just don´t really care´|
|Bucks beat Nuggets to finish gruelling schedule stretch|
|Titans stun Patriots, Browns upset Falcons|
|Browns´ Chubb relishes record-breaking performance: It definitely is very special|
|Fitzgerald overtakes Owens in career receiving yards|
|Brees leapfrogs Favre on all-time list for touchdown passes|
|Jones fastest in NFL to reach 10,000 receiving yards|
|Mahomes breaks Chiefs´ single-season TD record|
|Embiid and Simmons excited at Butler arrival|
|The Sunday Seven - 7 Key Opta facts for NFL Week 10|
|LeBron James among Lakers to be affected by Sacramento smoke|
|Spurs top struggling Rockets, Harden|
|Shanahan discusses Giants-49ers matchup amid possible postponement|
|76ers ´agree Jimmy Butler trade´ with Timberwolves|
|76ers unsure over rookie Smith´s return following allergy issue|
|Embiid: They call me ´Clutch´ for a reason|
|Butler: Timberwolves in ´big-time hole´ and can´t take criticism|
|Hayward expected boos on Jazz return|
|Celtics forward Gordon Hayward booed on return to Utah|
|Embiid saves 76ers in overtime to down Hornets|
|Long-time Twins star Mauer announces retirement|
|Lakers guard Ball tweaks ankle in practice, may miss game against Kings|
|Gronkowski, Michel ´questionable´ for Pats|
|Warriors coach Kerr encouraged by Curry MRI results|
|Irving praises Celtics´ resiliency in stunning comeback|
|Panthers safety Reid puzzled by ejection|
|Curry set for MRI as Kerr bemoans Warriors complacency|
|Thunder cruise to win over Rockets, Anthony struggles in return to OKC|
|Roethlisberger helps Steelers thrash Panthers|
|Pierce thinks Duke could beat Cavaliers|
|Martinez becomes first player to win Silver Slugger at two different positions|
|Kanter upset with Hawks over ´childish´ tweet about his scary fall|
|Lakers coach Walton on addition of Chandler: We needed the help now|
|This Week in U.S. Sports: Dez Bryant finds a home, Bryce Harper turns down big offer|
|Manning focused on much-needed Giants win|
|Eagles´ Jenkins: Defending champions relish being underdogs again|
|Lakers signing Chandler plans to ease LeBron burden|
|Leonard scores 25 in return to help Raptors top Kings|
|Cowboys running back Elliott calls matchup with Eagles a must-win game|
|Promitheas beaten but Bologna stay perfect in Group D|
|Yankees re-sign CC Sabathia to one-year deal|
|Saints sign Bryant to one-year contract|
|Atlanta Falcons swoop to sign Bruce Irvin|
|Trail Blazers hand Bucks second loss behind McCollum´s big game|
|Giants hire Zaidi as president of baseball operations|
|Mets GM hasn´t ´ruled out´ trading deGrom, Syndergaard|
|Nationals want to re-sign star Bryce Harper|
|Lakers sign Tyson Chandler|
|Astros starter McCullers will miss 2019 after Tommy John surgery|
|Niners QB Mullens to keep starting role against Giants|
|Ventspils condemn Ludwigsburg to another defeat, Tenerife remain unbeaten|
|Kyrie Irving fined $25K for throwing ball into stands|
|Aikman calls for ´complete overhaul´ of Cowboys|
|Chicago Blackhawks fire Quenneville|
|Kyrie Irving brands Jamal Murray´s last-gasp shot a ´b*******´ move|
|Warriors taking no risks with injured Green|
|Raptors continue hot start, top Jazz without Leonard|
|Titans too good for Cowboys|
|Thunder star Westbrook leaves game with left ankle sprain|
|Packers WR Allison dealing with ´pretty big injury´|
|Raptors star Leonard to miss second straight game with sore ankle|
|Our games match – Warriors star Durant discusses playing with Curry|
|Arians would only come out of retirement for Browns job|
|Bell bids farewell to Florida in cryptic tweet|