Few people could have predicted that Teddy Bridgewater, Mason Rudolph and Daniel Jones would be the talk of the NFL at the end of Week 2.
But that is where things stand after the official benching of Eli Manning on Tuesday followed injuries to Drew Brees and Ben Roethlisberger on Sunday.
From post-game news conferences to next-day media availabilities, here are the 10 best Week 2 quotes from players and coaches around the NFL:
– Los Angeles Rams head coach Sean McVay spoke highly of his interior offensive line's performance against the New Orleans Saints on Sunday despite being composed of two new starters: "Really, when you look at those three guys, very young group," he said. "They did a good job as the game progressed."
– Despite a disappointing outing on Sunday in which he missed three kicks, Indianapolis Colts veteran Adam Vinatieri is not getting discouraged: "I'm going to work a lot this week to get those demons out so I can go clear-headed and step on the field and just do my job," he told reporters.
– Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Bruce Arians talked about what it was like babysitting Ronde and Tiki Barber in late 1970s as a Virginia Tech team-mate and room-mate of their father James: "[Ronde]'s got some really ugly pictures of me with some bad hair."
– Jacksonville Jaguars cornerback Jalen Ramsey requested a trade but remains focused on winning while he is still with the team: "All I care about is winning man, s***...I want to f****** win. Straight up. Excuse my language," he told reporters.
– Speaking of Ramsey, Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones took notice of the situation and suggested players refrain from airing their grievances on social media: "I would tell them that I can't tell you the teams that have said to me, 'Boy, that's the last thing I need is somebody that would put his business out there like that and talk about it in public. I don't want him either'," Jones told 105.3 "The Fan" in Dallas. "Usually it's a rule around the NFL that if they'll act that way with the team they're with, they'll act that way with the team I've got or the one I'm managing."
– In the wake of Roethlisberger's season-ending elbow injury, Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin remains optimistic the veteran will be back next year: "He fully intends to come back from his injury, and everything we've heard, we're comfortable that's a strong possibility," he told reporters. "I'll say this — we feel comfortable with the team we've assembled. Our level of expectations in terms of level of our performance will not change and has not changed."
– With Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton also hurt, safety Eric Reid is open to the idea of the team potentially signing Colin Kaepernick: "The team have not approached me, but I would welcome that."
– New York Giants coach Pat Shurmur is focused on the future after benching long-time starting quarterback Manning for rookie Daniel Jones: "This move is more about Daniel moving forward than about Eli."
– Ahead of the team's game in Jacksonville, Tennessee Titans running back Derrick Henry is actually tired of watching his 99-yard touchdown run against the Jaguars from last December: "I'm sure [the Jaguars] are, because I am tired of seeing it — so I know for sure they are," he told reporters. "It's over with, man. It was a great moment, and I appreciate it. I cherish it. But it's time to move on now."
– New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick on his first trade with rivals the Jets: "We don't want to help the Jets, they don't want to help us. We're in the same division, so they're not the easiest trades to make but, you know, if the trade is good for both teams and ultimately what we're trying to do is improve our team. We have 14 other games to play besides the games against the Jets, so do we want to help them, do they want to help us? No and no, but in the end, if it helps us in the other 14 games and helps our team, then it's something that's worth considering."
|NFL news and notes: Sanders & Sanu traded, Peterson will face Vikings|
|That´s what he said: 10 best NFL quotes from Week 7|
|Le´Veon Bell: NFL did Sam Darnold ´dirty´ by approving ghosts comment for TV|
|49ers acquire Emmanuel Sanders from Broncos|
|Michael Jordan: Stephen Curry ´not a Hall of Famer yet´|
|NBA preview 2019-20: Under-the-radar teams, players and rotations|
|Warriors star Klay Thompson ´unlikely´ to play this season, says Steve Kerr|
|NBA preview 2019-20: Zion Williamson an undoubted hit - but how do this decade´s rookies rank?|
|Unbeaten Patriots reportedly acquire wideout Sanu from Falcons|
|I´ve got to be straight up - Jets QB Darnold addresses ´ghosts´ comment after career-low night|
|NBA preview 2019-20: How Rockets duo Westbrook and Harden have evolved since Thunder days|
|Patriots thrash Jets for seventh straight win|
|NBA preview 2019-20: Western Conference teams on the rise, fall, Rookie of the Year & predicted fini|
|NBA preview 2019-20: Eastern Conference teams on the rise, fall, Rookie of the Year & predicted fini|
|Pelicans rookie Zion Williamson out for up to eight weeks following knee surgery|
|CC Sabathia bids farewell to baseball after 19 MLB seasons|
|Carson Wentz ´embarrassed´ by Eagles´ performance in Cowboys defeat|
|Bears coach Nagy never considered benching Trubisky against Saints|
|Cowboys snap losing streak in dominant win over Eagles|
|Lakers´ LeBron James excited for opening night|
|Rodgers puts up big numbers in Packers win, 49ers remain perfect|
|MLB umpire Eric Cooper dies aged 52|
|Kuzma ruled out of Lakers´ NBA season opener|
|Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan injures ankle in loss to Rams|
|Prospective future top overall pick Tua Tagovailoa suffers high ankle sprain|
|Astros´ Altuve caps ALCS heroics with MVP award: I can´t wait for World Series|
|Altuve´s walk-off homer sends Astros to World Series|
|Jazz sign coach Snyder to long-term extension|
|Raptors & Pascal Siakam reportedly agree to multi-year extension|
|Kyrie Irving ´conflicted´ but keeps talks private amid latest China protest|
|Rockets positive after Westbrook scare as ´ridiculous´ Harden stuns D´Antoni|
|Yankees keep World Series hopes alive with game five win|
|Alvin Kamara, Jared Cook ruled out for Saints against Bears|
|NFL news and notes: Chiefs, Mahomes receive good news; 17-game schedule may be on horizon|
|Saquon Barkley available to face Cardinals, says Giants coach Shurmur|
|Patrick Mahomes reportedly set to return this season following dislocated kneecap|
|CC Sabathia removed from Yankees´ ALCS roster|
|Zion Williamson reportedly set to miss start of NBA season with knee injury|
|NFL Week 7 Bullet Points: Three must-know stats previewing every game|
|Mahomes upbeat about injury, says knee ´looking good so far´|
|Astros on the cusp of World Series after extending ALCS lead against Yankees|
|Chiefs beat Broncos but lose Mahomes to injury|
|Chiefs star Mahomes makes NFL history|
|Chiefs´ Mahomes helped off field after suffering knee injury|
|Zion Williamson to miss Pelicans´ preseason finale due to injury|
|NBA veteran Luol Deng signs with Bulls to retire with team at 34|
|This Week in US Sports: Nationals make first World Series, Ramsey has a new home|
|NFL news and notes: Rams noncommittal on Ramsey´s status, Okung could return this week|
|Bengals receiver Green not fit to return against Jaguars|
|Bradley Beal ´signs two-year extension´ with Wizards|
|76ers guard Simmons confident his shooting is improving|
|Darren Waller agrees multi-year extension with Oakland Raiders|
|Super Bowl winner Brock Osweiler announces retirement from NFL, aged 28|
|Ton-up for AEK as Hapoel show their mettle in FIBA Champions League|
|Jalen Ramsey on trade from Jaguars to Rams: ´I´m overjoyed right now´|
|ALCS Game 4 postponed due to incoming storm|
|Dolphins stick with Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB|
|Los Angeles Angels hire Maddon as manager|
|´Old guys´ vital in Nationals´ season turnaround – Scherzer|
|Nationals reach first MLB World Series after sweeping Cardinals|
|Can´t spell Ramsey without Rams – LA confirm trade for star cornerback|
|LeBron James won´t discuss China-NBA feud again|
|Cole shuts out Yankees as Astros take 2-1 lead in ALCS|
|Rams acquire Ramsey from Jaguars for three draft picks – reports|
|That´s what he said: 10 best NFL quotes from Week 6|
|Tenerife start new FIBA Champions League campaign on winning note|
|NFL news and notes: Mayfield expected back after Browns bye, Bennett suspended|
|Rams trade two-time Pro Bowl cornerback Peters to Ravens|
|Bears place defensive tackle Hicks on IR|
|Kyle Lowry signs one-year Raptors extension|